Third Regional Conference on countering disinformation in the Western Balkans
Based on the success and lessons learned from the first and second regional conferences on disinformation, organized by the RCC - Regional Cooperation Council in cooperation with the OBC Transeuropa and the EU Centre of Excellence (CoE), the Third Regional Conference will seek to provide both the theoretical and practical skills to youth form the WB, and in particular students of journalism and communications
Based on the success and lessons learned from the first and second regional conferences on disinformation organized by the RCC - Regional Cooperation Council in close cooperation with the Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso Transeuropa from Trento and the EU Centre of Excellence from Helsinki in November 2020 and July 2021, the Third Regional Conference on Countering Disinformation in the Western Balkans will seek to provide both the theoretical and practical skills to youth form the WB, and in particular students of journalism and communications – representing their generation on one hand, and on the other being the upcoming information content creators.
Thus the aim of the Conference will be to:
- Elaborate on the threats pertaining to the proliferation of disinformation in the Western Balkans and why it is important to resist it;
- Discuss the current and potential role of youth organizations to support media literacy and disinformation resilience among young people in the Western Balkans;
- Equip the students with tools that will allow them to more readily and easily detect disinformation, in order to prevent their further dissemination across media channels and promote quality journalism;
- Present the best practices of effective public communications in the context of the digital age, mindful of the trust gap between citizens and traditional communications actors.
The conference aims to provide theoretical and practical skills to students of journalism and communications through several topics divided into 4 panels, two of which will be of a practical character:
- - Opening Panel - “Disinformation: Why Should We Care? Trends and Security Implications of Disinformation”
- - Debate - "Youth and Disinformation: How to strengthen responsibility and reduce vulnerability”
- - Workshop 1: Practical examples of cases of disinformation and how they were dealt with across Europe”
- - Workshop 2: “Communications in the Digital Era”
The conference will bring together over 100 participants, including key experts, academics, journalists, researchers, representatives of youth organizations from the Western Balkans, students, and practitioners in the region and beyond.
Zoom registration link: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PN9jIpARQaeIriDAaZs_hA
Agenda of the conference are to be shared soon.