KLA trial: amid expectations and protests
The trial against former Kosovo President Hashim Thaçi and the KLA leadership for war crimes is in its final stages. While the verdict is expected in the coming months, many are protesting in the streets of Pristina in support of the defendants

In the name of people – freedom
Protests in Pristina © Arta Berisha
As the trial against former president Hashim Thaçi and his three co-defendants – accused of war crimes during the Kosovo war – is nearing its end in The Hague, tens of thousands of citizens filled the main squares of Prishtina in a march for justice on the 18th anniversary of Kosovo’s independence.
Kosovo President Vjosa Osmani, the mayor of Prishtina and many political parties from across the spectrum joined the protest march, which was organized by the platform “Liria ka Emër” (Freedom Has a Name).
The protesting crowd was greeted with short statements from family members and civilian victims who lost their loved ones during the war.
“Our calls for justice, not politics, are not against anyone; they are for our collective dignity. We cannot accept that trials carried out in the name of the people of Kosovo are used to equate the aggressor with the victim,” said organiser Ismail Tasholli.
Protesters who came from all over Kosovo held posters that read “KLA is our pride”, “in the name of people we want freedom” and “our history cannot be rewritten”.
Kosovo declared independence on February 17, 2008, under the government led by Hashim Thaçi, leader of the Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK), currently charged with crimes against humanity and war crimes under international law alongside Kadri Veseli, Rexhep Selimi and Jakup Krasniqi.
In the indictment, Thaçi is described as a founding member of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) and part of its Central or General Staff during 1998 and 1999.
The former KLA members are being held in detention in The Hague, and the prosecution accuses them of carrying individual and command responsibility for over 100 people killed during 1998-1999, and hundred of others abused in or around 50 KLA detention camps.
“This case concerns the objective of the four accused to exercise control over the whole of Kosovo,” Specialist Prosecutor Kim West said in the final statement.
The prosecution, the victims’ counsel and the defense teams began presenting their final remarks last week in the trial, which formally began in April 2023. Kim West has requested 45 years in prison for each of the four defendants.
“The Specialist Prosecutor’s Office (SPO) seeks a guilty verdict on all counts of the indictment, requesting a sentence of 45 years based on the individual contributions to the crimes. These crimes are war crimes and crimes against humanity,” read her statement.
Furthermore, during many hours of closing arguments, the prosecution presented a historical overview of how Thaçi and the three others became part of the KLA in 1993, mainly referring to press releases issued by the KLA General Staff and to personal diaries, until 1999, when the Provisional Government of Kosovo led by Hashim Thaçi was established.
The prosecution said that the four sought to gain control over all of Kosovo while eliminating Serbs, Roma and Albanians affiliated with the Democratic League of Kosovo (LDK).
The prosecution office downplayed the statements of international witnesses that the defense team brought in trial, arguing that although they were involved in important processes, they did not know how the KLA actually functioned.
On the other hand, the defense team in Thaçi’s case stated that the prosecution has not proven guilt, nor that Thaçi was involved in policies to abuse the human rights of collaborators or people perceived to be opponents of the KLA.
According to Thaçi’s lawyer, Luka Mišetić, there is no proof that Hashim Thaçi was involved in drafting press releases, and many documents allegedly showing unlawful orders by Thaçi are missing. He argued that there is no connection between Hashim Thaçi and criminal behaviors.
“Mr Thaçi was outside Kosovo for most of the period covered by the indictment. The request of the SPO’s Office for 45 years in prison is not based on past practice or on the reality of this case. This trial, which has lasted around three years, was a test for the prosecution, and the prosecution has failed. The presumption of innocence of Mr Thaçi remains. It is time for Hashim Thaçi to go home. We ask you to acquit him of all charges,” said Luka Mišetić.
Furthermore, Mišetić emphasised the case in which the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia ruled that Serbian President Milan Milutinović was not criminally responsible for war crimes committed in Kosovo by Serbian forces, because he was “a political figure who did not have effective control over the forces” of the former Yugoslavia.
The defense teams of the three other defendants, in separate closing statements, also argued that the prosecution failed to prove guilt.
After the closing statements, the Trial Panel has up to 90 days to deliver a verdict. In specific circumstances, this period may be extended by an additional 60 days.
Since the day the closing statement began on February 9, Kosovo authorities have reacted against the SPO. The newly established parliament has adopted a resolution prepared by a group of experts and supported by the Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK) calling on the Kosovo Specialist Chambers in The Hague to ensure a fair trial for the accused.
In addition, Kosovo Foreign Minister Glauk Konjufca said that he will travel to the Hague to represent the state of Kosovo.
“I expect these accusations to fail, they are not sustainable, they are slander and lies that offend our liberation war,” said Konjufca.
KLA trial: amid expectations and protests
The trial against former Kosovo President Hashim Thaçi and the KLA leadership for war crimes is in its final stages. While the verdict is expected in the coming months, many are protesting in the streets of Pristina in support of the defendants

In the name of people – freedom
Protests in Pristina © Arta Berisha
As the trial against former president Hashim Thaçi and his three co-defendants – accused of war crimes during the Kosovo war – is nearing its end in The Hague, tens of thousands of citizens filled the main squares of Prishtina in a march for justice on the 18th anniversary of Kosovo’s independence.
Kosovo President Vjosa Osmani, the mayor of Prishtina and many political parties from across the spectrum joined the protest march, which was organized by the platform “Liria ka Emër” (Freedom Has a Name).
The protesting crowd was greeted with short statements from family members and civilian victims who lost their loved ones during the war.
“Our calls for justice, not politics, are not against anyone; they are for our collective dignity. We cannot accept that trials carried out in the name of the people of Kosovo are used to equate the aggressor with the victim,” said organiser Ismail Tasholli.
Protesters who came from all over Kosovo held posters that read “KLA is our pride”, “in the name of people we want freedom” and “our history cannot be rewritten”.
Kosovo declared independence on February 17, 2008, under the government led by Hashim Thaçi, leader of the Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK), currently charged with crimes against humanity and war crimes under international law alongside Kadri Veseli, Rexhep Selimi and Jakup Krasniqi.
In the indictment, Thaçi is described as a founding member of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) and part of its Central or General Staff during 1998 and 1999.
The former KLA members are being held in detention in The Hague, and the prosecution accuses them of carrying individual and command responsibility for over 100 people killed during 1998-1999, and hundred of others abused in or around 50 KLA detention camps.
“This case concerns the objective of the four accused to exercise control over the whole of Kosovo,” Specialist Prosecutor Kim West said in the final statement.
The prosecution, the victims’ counsel and the defense teams began presenting their final remarks last week in the trial, which formally began in April 2023. Kim West has requested 45 years in prison for each of the four defendants.
“The Specialist Prosecutor’s Office (SPO) seeks a guilty verdict on all counts of the indictment, requesting a sentence of 45 years based on the individual contributions to the crimes. These crimes are war crimes and crimes against humanity,” read her statement.
Furthermore, during many hours of closing arguments, the prosecution presented a historical overview of how Thaçi and the three others became part of the KLA in 1993, mainly referring to press releases issued by the KLA General Staff and to personal diaries, until 1999, when the Provisional Government of Kosovo led by Hashim Thaçi was established.
The prosecution said that the four sought to gain control over all of Kosovo while eliminating Serbs, Roma and Albanians affiliated with the Democratic League of Kosovo (LDK).
The prosecution office downplayed the statements of international witnesses that the defense team brought in trial, arguing that although they were involved in important processes, they did not know how the KLA actually functioned.
On the other hand, the defense team in Thaçi’s case stated that the prosecution has not proven guilt, nor that Thaçi was involved in policies to abuse the human rights of collaborators or people perceived to be opponents of the KLA.
According to Thaçi’s lawyer, Luka Mišetić, there is no proof that Hashim Thaçi was involved in drafting press releases, and many documents allegedly showing unlawful orders by Thaçi are missing. He argued that there is no connection between Hashim Thaçi and criminal behaviors.
“Mr Thaçi was outside Kosovo for most of the period covered by the indictment. The request of the SPO’s Office for 45 years in prison is not based on past practice or on the reality of this case. This trial, which has lasted around three years, was a test for the prosecution, and the prosecution has failed. The presumption of innocence of Mr Thaçi remains. It is time for Hashim Thaçi to go home. We ask you to acquit him of all charges,” said Luka Mišetić.
Furthermore, Mišetić emphasised the case in which the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia ruled that Serbian President Milan Milutinović was not criminally responsible for war crimes committed in Kosovo by Serbian forces, because he was “a political figure who did not have effective control over the forces” of the former Yugoslavia.
The defense teams of the three other defendants, in separate closing statements, also argued that the prosecution failed to prove guilt.
After the closing statements, the Trial Panel has up to 90 days to deliver a verdict. In specific circumstances, this period may be extended by an additional 60 days.
Since the day the closing statement began on February 9, Kosovo authorities have reacted against the SPO. The newly established parliament has adopted a resolution prepared by a group of experts and supported by the Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK) calling on the Kosovo Specialist Chambers in The Hague to ensure a fair trial for the accused.
In addition, Kosovo Foreign Minister Glauk Konjufca said that he will travel to the Hague to represent the state of Kosovo.
“I expect these accusations to fail, they are not sustainable, they are slander and lies that offend our liberation war,” said Konjufca.








